This opportunity is managed by the Department of Defense Programs office. Please apply to the following website: www.orau.org/maryland
Military Cognitive Performance Research
One ORISE research opportunity is available with the U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, located in Natick, MA. USARIEM is seeking candidates with Bachelor's or Master's Degree in the biological sciences, psychology, neurosciences, or related fields. Experience with project coordination is desirable. U.S. Citizenship is Required. This opportunity is scheduled for twelve months and has the option to be renewed for additional terms. This opportunity includes, but is not limited to, the following:
The primary focus of this research fellowship will involve research examining the effects of non-invasive transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) on military job task performance, specifically marksmanship performance. The Fellow may also have opportunities to gain diverse experience with human research studies investigating the effects of military occupational (e.g., physical/cognitive exertion) and environmental (e.g., heat, cold, altitude) exposures on physical, cognitive, and psychological performance. This research includes primarily laboratory-based studies, but may also include field-based studies.
The Fellow will specifically assist and gain experience with:
- TENS administration and data collection
- Administration of cognitive assessments and marksmanship tasks
- Collection of biological samples, as appropriate (training provided)
- Data organization and database management
- Data analyses, as appropriate
- Preparation of documents for administrative/regulatory review and approval to maintain IRB protocol (assisting with amendments, continuing reviews, and data files) and for communication with study sponsors
- Recruitment and scheduling of study participants
- Preparation of scientific presentations and scholarly manuscripts (such as conducting literature searches, creating figures, and editing text)
Bachelor's or Master's Degree in the biological sciences, psychology, neurosciences, or related fields is required. Experience with project coordination is desirable. U.S. Citizenship is Required.